Prototype to Product Official Rules
Prototype to Product 3D Printing Contest Official Rules
These are the official rules that explain how the Formlabs and Shapeways Prototype to Product 3D Printing Contest promotion will operate. This promotion will simply be referred to as the “Contest” in the rest of these rules. Please review these rules carefully. If you are a minor, you must obtain the consent of your parent or legal guardian before entering. In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Formlabs, Inc. and Shapeways, Inc., the sponsors of the Contest. “You,” “yourself,” “I”, “me,” and “my” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
NO PAYMENT OR PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN, EXCEPT FOR THE STANDARD CHARGES OF YOUR INTERNET ACCESS PROVIDER. A PAYMENT OR PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to create 3D designs that make the most of the precision of the Form 1 3D printer and the range of materials offered by Shapeways. For the purpose of this Contest, each 3D model you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry.” Entry eligibility will be determined using the criteria in Section 4. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria in Section 7 and awarded prizes as described below.
This Contest starts at 12:00 PM ET on May 14, 2014 and ends at 12:00 PM ET on June 30, 2014. This will be referred to as the Entry Period in the rest of these rules. Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible. Any received outside of the Entry Period will be disqualified.
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements:
- You are at least 13 years of age or older at the time of entry; and
- You are not an employee of Formlabs, Inc., Shapeways, Inc., or a subsidiary; and
- You are not involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are not an immediate family or household member of a Sponsor employee.
If you are a minor, you should ask your parent or legal guardian's permission prior to submitting an entry in the Contest. The Contest is void outside of the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following requirements:
- Fit within the bounding box of the Form 1 3D printer (125 x 125 x 165 mm); and
- Be uploaded in STL or OBJ format.
- Your entry must be your own original work; and
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals, or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- Your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, logos, names, or images without their express written consent.
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you (or, if you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian):
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all its content in connection with the promotion of this Contest in all media (now known or later developed);
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that we may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives' unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you (or, if you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian) do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
To submit your entry, upload a new model to Shapeways or select an existing model and tag your design as “PrototypeToProduct.” Only properly tagged models set to “public” visibility will be accepted as submissions.
We will only accept ten entries per Shapeways account. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are unable to view.
We will automatically disqualify any incomplete or broken models and any entries that we receive from you in excess of the entry limit described above.
A panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select winners based upon the following equal criteria:
- Creativity: Novelty and originality;
- Culture: Importance of the design;
- Complexity: Significance and technical sophistication of the entry; and
- Fit: Use of Form 1 and Shapeways
The decision of the judges are final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by an additional judge who will judge the tied entries based on the criteria listed above.
Grand Prize (1 winner):
Formlabs' Form 1 3D Printer (Retail Value of $3,299)
$500 Gift Certificate from Shapeways (Retail Value of $500)
First Prize (2 winners):
$150 Gift Certificate from Shapeways (Retail Value of $150)
Second Prize (4 winners):
$50 Gift Certificate from Shapeways (Retail Value of $50)
$10 Gift Certificate from Shapeways (Potential Retail Value of $2000 based on 200 entries)
If for any reason the advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. We will only award one prize per person. If you are selected as a potential winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services;
- You may not designate someone else as the winner;
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
On or around July 7, 2014, we will complete the judging and determine potential winners based on the criteria stated above.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) associated with your entry within seven days following the selection. If we are unable to reach you, we may award the prize to an alternate selected winner.
If there is a dispute as to whom is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability/content/publicity release, and W-9 form. If you do not sign and return these required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate winner.
By entering this Contest you (your parent or legal guardian if you are a minor) agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules;
- To abide by the Sponsors' Terms and Conditions of Use, Privacy Policies, and other policies pertaining to the Sponsor web sites, although these rules take precedence;
- To the extent allowed by law, to release and hold harmless Formlabs, Inc., Shapeways, Inc., their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won;
- That Sponsors decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest;
- That the Sponsors may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law; and
- This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of New York, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of New York's courts (state and federal) for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
We will post the names of confirmed winners online after July 7, 2014 on our blog.
35 Medford St., Suite 1, Somerville MA 02143
419 Park Avenue South, Suite 900, New York NY 10016