Begin Your Dentistry Learning Pathway
The resources in this course are curated to anticipate the questions you’ll have as you implement 3D printing into your workflow. Use this course to save time while gaining proficiency in all of the skills necessary throughout the entire print process. These skills include scanning and design, print preparation, printing, and post-processing.
Follow along step-by-step for thorough instruction, or select individual resources most relevant to your needs or learning style.
Step 1: Unboxing and Setup
Review this unboxing video before your Form 2 arrives. Become acquainted with the components in your printer and prepare to start printing.
- Identify core printer components
- Install your Resin Tank, Build Platform, and Resin Cartridge
Step 2: Dashboard Registration and Setup
In this video, you'll learn to configure a Dashboard account and 3D print more efficiently by tracking print progress, material consumption, order statuses, and more.Learn More
Step 3: Introduction to PreForm
Practice using PreForm, Formlabs’ print preparation software, to increase print quality and success.
- Navigate the PreForm 3D workspace
- Locate and use core tools and menus
- Prepare models for 3D printing and send them to your printer
Step 4: Optimizing Part Orientation
Increase print success and save time and material costs by gaining an intimate understanding of how part orientation impacts your prints.
- Apply advanced support generation tools
- Orient parts for print success and reliability
Step 5: Making Models Printable
Save time and avoid frustration during the file repair process by learning how to use powerful mesh repair tools in Autodesk Meshmixer.
Learn to address:
- Missing faces
- Zero thickness areas
- Non-manifold meshes and more
Step 6: Post-Processing Basics
Maintain an effective post-processing workflow to save time and to ensure consistent results when finishing printed parts.
- Remove printed parts using the build platform jig and the print removal tool
- Agitate and soak prints in IPA to remove excess resin
- Remove support structures using flush cutters
- Post-cure parts when necessary or useful
Step 7: The Digital Dentistry Workflow
In this webinar, Lee Culp CDT and Formlabs dental lead Gideon Balloch discuss how dental professionals are incorporating 3D printing into their workflows to provide better service while increasing profitability.
- Identify effective applications for scanning and 3D printing within your practice or lab
- Use 3D printers to improve the level of service and profitability of your business
Step 8: Learn to Choose the Right Materials
Gain a deeper understanding of the properties and functions of each Formlabs resin and learn which are best for your applications.
- Identify the resins you will use most frequently
- Understand the material properties of individual resins
- Understand the printing and post-processing requirements of each resin you use
Printing with Digital Dentures
Get an idea of what's involved in printing and preparing digital dentures with Formlabs Denture Base and Denture Teeth resins.
- Best practices for preparing dentures
- Fusing the base and teeth
- Polishing and finishing steps
Dental SG Resin and Surgical Guide Production
Learn the process of creating surgical guides with the Form 2. Learn more about the print, post-processing, and post-cure requirements for Formlabs Dental SG Resin.
- Identify the technologies and materials required for digital surgical guide production
- Improve clinical outcomes with proper use of 3D printed surgical guides
Application: Retainers and Aligners
In this post, Dr. Sean Holiday, DDS, MS, owner of Holiday Orthodontics, discusses how he used 3D printing to produce retainers and aligners in-house.
- Understand the differences between traditional production and digital dentistry cost models
- Create retainers and aligners with 3D printing and vacuum forming
Learn how to produce splints and understand the print, post-processing, and post-cure requirements for Formlabs Dental LT Clear Resin.
- 3D print splints with Dental LT Clear Resin
- Orient splints in PreForm to achieve the highest level of splint accuracy
- Understand post-processing and biocompatibility
Application: Dental Models
In this application guide, Dr. Michael Sherer, DMD, MS discusses his efforts to define and prove clinical accuracy of parts printed on the Form 2 in Formlabs Dental Model Resin.
- Define accuracy needs for your dental models
- Translate clinical benchmarks to print specifications
- Print and post-process dental models on your Form 2
Application: Digital Implantology and Surgical Guides
In this webinar, Formlabs dental lead Gideon Balloch joins Daniel Whitley, DDS and Sompop Bencharit, DDS, MS, PhD, FACP to discuss using intraoral scanners, desktop 3D printing, surgical guides, and the digital dentistry workflow.
- Understand the history of digital dentistry
- Identify applications for 3D printing in your current workflow
- Spot current and future trends in digital dentistry
Manage Multiple 3D Printers
Learn the unique demands of managing multiple 3D printers to increase productivity while growing your 3D printing capacity.
- Configure a multi-printer lab or workspace
- Acquire and manage consumables and essential supplies
- Understand the 3D printing process at scale