Learn how to incorporate 3D printing into your existing jewelry workflow. Review these curated resources to save time and effort when unboxing, designing, casting, and finding casting partners for 3D printed parts.
Follow along step-by-step for thorough instruction, or select individual resources most relevant to your needs or learning style.
Jewelry Design for 3D Printing
Ensure designs will print and cast properly by learning basic parameters for design, supports, and orientation when printing with Formlabs Castable Wax Resin.
- Understand the mechanics of 3D printing that impact printing and casting success
- Design models for printability and castability
- Orient and support your models in PreForm for printing success
Learn to Choose the Right Materials
Gain a deeper understanding of the properties and functions of each Formlabs resin and learn which are best for your applications.
- Identify the resins you will use most frequently
- Understand the material properties of individual resins
- Understand printing and post-processing requirements of each resin you use
Castable Resin and the Burnout Process
Use this guide to successfully print, post-process, and cast parts printed in Formlabs Castable Wax and Castable Resin.
- Understand the differences between wax and resin burnout
- Design parts for casting
- Prepare molds and successfully burn out prints
Vulcanized Rubber Casting with 3D Printed Masters
Read how vulcanized rubber casting provides an option to produce molds and casting masters in quantity for investment casting of metal parts.
- Fabricate metal parts using 3D printing
- Methods and results from Formlabs’ test of material compatibilities for rubber moldmaking
3D Printing Your Engagement Ring
Find inspiration in four examples of design, printing, and casting engagement rings.
- Understand the basic concepts of creating jewelry from parts printed in Castable Resin
- Apply basic concepts to varying jewelry designs
Finding Casting Partners
Avoid trial and error and learn to develop relationships with casting houses that can provide reliable, quality casts using Formlabs Castable Resin.
- Experiment with different casting houses
- Communicate finishing needs
Scale your Capacity
Manage Multiple 3D Printers
Learn the unique demands of managing multiple 3D printers to increase productivity while growing your 3D printing capacity.
- Configure a multi-printer lab or workspace
- Acquire and manage consumables and essential supplies
- Understand the 3D printing process at scale